It is of the utmost importance that you clearly state what your eBay seller policies are. By doing so, not only do you come across as professional, but you eliminate many questions that you would potentially be asked about said policies. You will also get it out in the open what you expect from your customers and what they should expect from you.
You will want to include your policies in a listing template that you use for all your listings. The purpose of this template is to give you a basis to have a consistent message about your policies on each item you list on eBay. You want to make sure there are as few questions left unanswered as possible about what is expected of both the buyer and seller when a transaction takes place.
Your policies should include:
- What payment types you take (i.e. PayPal, personal check, money order, etc.) and when payment is due.
- Your shipping service options and what your handling time is (how soon from the time you receive payment to when you ship.)
- Your combined shipping policy (if you have one) which simply explains if a person was to buy multiple items from you in one transaction, that you will combine multiple items into one shipment and offer a shipping discount for this multiple item order.
- A return policy is something that will definitely need to be included in your template (if you offer one) so there is absolutely no confusion should a return be necessary.
- And finally, you will want to include anything else you may deem important information necessary to ensure a smooth transaction.
The idea is to be as specific as possible (without going overboard) so there is less of a chance of any misunderstanding down the road with a transaction. You do not need to write a novel, but you do need to eliminate any possible confusion.
Stating your policies will lead to less confusion amongst your customers and will head off any possible future confusion because you were assuming one thing and your customer was assuming another. Getting your eBay seller policies out in front of potential customers is very beneficial for all parties and really helps you present yourself in that professional light that every eBay seller should strive for.