eBay just released a very cool, new tool for those that don’t sell on eBay, but buy on eBay. Most, if not all, eBay sellers are also eBay buyers, so this very neat tool will benefit us all.
eBay Desktop is an application for both Mac and Windows that you install on your computer and lets you browse and bid on eBay listings without the use of an Internet browser. This application has been in development for almost two years and it will be updated with more enhancements in the coming months.
What is really cool about eBay Desktop is that it puts a fresh face on the whole eBay buying process. Let’s face it, the eBay website can be hard to navigate and it is anything but pretty. With eBay Desktop, as an eBay buyer, you’ll never have to go to eBay.com again! Now, if they would just come up with something like this for sellers…
We have been playing around with it for just a little bit now, as it was just released yesterday, so there are probably features we don’t know about yet. The only downside to it, that we can see, is it doesn’t appear to support eBay Motors. If you are not in the market for a car, then this application is definitely for you.
Let’s hit some of the highlights of this very easy to use, easy on the eyes, application.
- Very user friendly search function that allows you to fine tune your search through filtering by auction items only, Buy It Now only, specific price range, specific seller and more.
- The search feature suggests additional keywords to add to your search query, further narrowing down the results to exactly what you are looking for.
- You can easily browse the eBay categories in a much better way than on the website.
- Once you have results displayed, you can quickly and easily browse through the results and click on ones you are interested in further exploring. This opens up a clever item description window that displays all of the necessary information.
- You can very easily add or remove items from your watched items list.
- You are able to bid on items and pay for them from within the application.
- You can communicate with sellers from within the application.
- If you are ever outbid, the application will immediately give you a pop-up alert notifying you of this.
- Shows you your recently browsed items in reverse chronological order.
One of the neatest features is the ability to create product feeds for your favorite seller’s items or for your favorite searches. How it works is it automatically creates an updated list of items that your favorite sellers have for sale or search results from a custom search you created. The feed will distinguish items that are new to you. If you want to view the details of a particular item, just click on the picture.
This is a very slick, useful tool that will make buying on eBay more enjoyable. As a matter of fact, it is so slick that we find it hard to believe it was created by eBay!
While the eBay Desktop may not help you sell on eBay, it will certainly help you spend on eBay. Why don’t you download it and take it for a spin yourself? You might find you’ll never go back to eBay’s website as a buyer!